Every freelance writer needs advice at some point in their career. Starting out as a freelance writer is especially tough, but luckily there are many experienced writers out there willing to share their tips. It’s pretty amazing that these experts offer their advice and tips for free, but most of them also offer extremely useful paid courses and services. So make sure to check those out as well!
Elna Cain was one of the first freelance writers I came across when starting out. Her advice on freelance writing has been invaluable to me, especially when I first started looking into freelance writing as a career option. Every post written by Elna is full of useful and trustworthy information due to her multiple years of experience in freelance writing and digital marketing. Elna also offers freelance writing courses such as her Writeto1K course and her free 6-day email course.
Essential Elna Cain Blog Posts-
- How to Network to Land Online Jobs for Writers
- 9 Simple Ways on How to Improve Your Writing Skills
- How to Make Money from Home as a Freelance Writer
Do you share my dream of being a professional freelance travel writer? If so, Dream of Travel Writing is an essential blog to follow. Created by Gabi Logan, Dream of Travel Writing is based on the business of travel writing and what it takes to build a successful career as a travel writer. Contributors to this site are professional freelance writers who love all things travel and have a desire to support travel writing careers by providing resources and services beyond just the blog. This includes their travel magazine database and book created by Gabi, The Six-Figure Travel Writing Road Map.
Essential Dream of Travel Writing Blog Posts-
- Before or After: When Should You Pitch Your Travel Story?
- Don’t Have Travel Writing Work? Why Not?
- How to Write a Travel Article Pitch that Sells-In 15 Minutes
Creative Revolt is Jorden Roper’s creative masterpiece. After being fired from her full-time job, Jorden built her full-time freelance writing business from the ground up with no experience. Only 4 months after she was fired, she was able to make $5000 in one month from her writing business. Jorden offers free and premium courses to help you find similar freelance writing success. She not only helps writers but YouTubers and bloggers as well. Making her the ultimate creative entrepreneur.
Essential Creative Revolt Blog Posts-
- How to Finally Pick a Freelance Writing Niche When You Can’t Decide
- The Complete Guide to Setting Up Your Freelance Writer Website (In One Day or Less)
- How to Make Smart Business Investments as a Freelance Writer
Many freelance writers are also freelance bloggers or own a blog of some sorts. This is why Problogger is essential. Darren Rowse is the creator of ProBlogger.net and is also one of the most successful professional bloggers. Problogger provides many resources for writers on top of their blog, podcasts and ebooks are just a few. I recommend their free course on how to start your own blog. I featured ProBlogger in my post on websites where freelance writers can find work due to their job board found directly on their blog. Their board is updated regularly with trustworthy job opportunities for freelance writers.
Essential ProBlogger Blog Posts-
- Five Ways to Encourage Readers to Comment More Often on Your Posts
- 10 Tips to Help You Land a Job as a Freelance Blogger
- 5 Areas to Focus on to Grow Your Blogging Income
The Write Life is a blog that has every aspect of a writers life covered. This includes freelancing, marketing, and blogging. The Write Life not only offers advice on freelance writing online but becoming a published author as well. Making it the perfect place for freelance writers who eventually want to write a book and become a published author. The Write Life publishes articles multiple times a week, keeping their blog full of new information.
Essential The Write Life Blog Posts-
- 7 Secrets to Turning New Clients Into Repeat Customers
- Editors Dish: What They Want New Freelance Writers to Understand
- 5 Ways to Bounce Back When You Lose a Freelance-Writing Client
Freelancer FAQs is another freelance writing blog created and managed by Elna Cain. Contributors to Freelancer FAQs provide the answers to multiple questions that most freelance writers have while managing their freelance writing business. This blog covers every aspect of freelance writing including starting out, how to write better content, and how to stay motivated as a writer. If you sign up for their newsletter you receive a free guide “11 Rookie Mistakes Your Making on Your Writer Website”.
Essential Freelancer FAQs Blog Posts-
- How do I Write Engaging Content For My Freelance Clients?
- How Can Struggling Writers Boost Their Income?
- Should I Offer More Than Writing Services to My Freelance Writing Clients?
Be a Freelance Blogger is another freelance writing blog that focuses on making an income from blogging. Be a Freelance Blogger was created by Sophie Lizard, an expert freelance blogger whose goal is to help writers earn income by becoming experts at blogging. Sophie not only offers expert advice through her blog but through personal training and coaching as well. Her coaching is a worthwhile investment if you are looking to become a full-time freelance blogger.
Essential Be a Freelance Blogger Blog Posts-
- Cracking the Editor’s Code: Writing a Killer Guest Post as a Freelance Blogger
- 5 Steps to Make Hourly Rates Profitable as a Freelance Blogger
- How to Stop Anxiety From Ruining Your Freelance Blogging Career
If you follow and apply everything you learn from each of these awesome blogs to your freelance writing business, you will have everything you need to become a successful freelance writer
Once you’ve worked your way through my list, there are plenty more freelance writing experts to follow and learn from. So keep looking!
If I have missed any freelance writing blogs that you would recommend, please leave them in the comments below!